General Pre-Procedure Instructions
You have been referred to our office for an Interventional Radiology procedure.
Please report to the 3rd Floor SURGERY REGISTRATION OFFICE at:
Aventura Hospital and Medical Center
20900 Biscayne Boulevard
Please note the following instructions:
- Do not have anything to eat or drink after midnight the day before the procedure.(DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO EAT OR DRINK THE MORNING OF THE PROCEDURE except as described in # 6 and #7 below).
- Bring all of your medications with you to the Hospital the day of the procedure.
- Bring all of your insurance cards with you (for registration).
- If you take COUMADIN, ASPIRIN, IBUPROFEN, PLAVIX OR GLUCOPHAGE, please notify the office
- DAYS PRIOR to your procedure for instructions on reducing or stopping these medications.
- If you take GINGKO BILOBA OR GINSENG, stop taking these 4 DAYS PRIOR to your procedure.
- Take all of your usual oral medications the morning of your procedure with a small sip of water.
- If you are on Insulin for diabetes, TAKE 1/2 your usual morning dose. If you require food intake to regulate your glucose level, drink no more than 4oz to 6oz of juice or other clear liquids.
- If you are allergic to X-ray dye (iodine), contact the office for specific instructions.
- You will be given conscious sedation medication through an intravenous (IV) line during the procedure. The medication will help you feel relaxed and sleepy. You should not feel anything during the procedure;
you will be able to speak to Dr. Osterman and understand his responses, but you may not remember anything after the procedure is completed.
- Following your procedure,you will spend 1 to 4 hours in Out-Patient Recovery. The length of recovery depends on the type of procedure and sedation you are given.
- Upon discharge, you will be given instructions on how to care for yourself after your procedure.
- YOU MUST MAKE ARRANGEMENTS TO HAVE A RESPONSIBLE ADULT DRIVE YOU HOME after your procedure recovery.
If you live within a close radius of Aventura hospital, we can arrange for a courtesy shuttle to transport you
to and from the hospital. If you would like to inquire if your location is within the courtesy
transportation range, please contact the office as soon as possible as reservations
are accommodated on a first come first served basis.
13. If you have any questions regarding your procedure or these instructions, feel free to contact our office.
Our office hours are 9:00AM to 4:00PM, Monday through Friday. Contact Us!